Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Daddy's Noodles With Mushroom Sauce

When I was living at home, I didn't like home-cooked food. No offense, mom, dad, auntie. I remembered I always crave for white bread with hot chocolate every time dinner was served in front of me. I frowned especially Chinese soup was forced to me, I drank soup with a straw, hating the transparent layer of pork grease on top. Of course my family 'despised' my weird behavior. However, having spent 5 years drifting away from home, I prepare mostly Chinese food for dinner, the loaf of bread is always tossed with growth on it, and it took me a year to finish a pack of Milo (hot chocolate from Nestle). I definitely miss our traditional cooking. My dad has a signature dish when he prepares for supper when someone in the family is hungry at night. He will sautéed ground pork with garlic and mushroom, make it into a sauce and pour it over boiled noodles. When my parents were here for my graduation, they made the dish again, and I was awaken by the fragrance, it was 7 am in the morning. Mom and dad's cooking have improved over the years, now it's the restaurant level that I'm talking about, thanks to the longtime investment on cookbooks and Astro. I didn't ask for the recipe, I re-created the nostalgic dish based on my childhood memory and appreciation. I have decided to keep a record on my cooking, with nice photos and recipes, hoping that one day, I can get to serve my parents with my time-tested recipes, but now, I don't get the chance just yet...I regret the time at home when I didn't appreciate dinner, overlooking my mom's sincere intentions of cutting recipes from newspaper, recording cook shows, and making notes. I'm not embarrassed by my new found hobby, it's not housewives' job, for what it's worth, it's made with love, and it's something your gold/platinum mastercard can't buy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of Chinese Anchovies (rinsed and dried)
2 spoonfuls of garlic
Generous amount of fried shallots
1/2 lb of Chinese Choy sum (green veggies)
1/2 lb of Bean Sprout
10 dried shitake mushrooms (soaked in water, quartered)
10 pre-made frozen wonton (recipe will be up soon)
3/4 lb ground pork
Wonton noodles/spaghetti

Seasonings (to taste):
Sugar
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce

Directions:

1.
Fry the ground pork and mushrooms, while frying, season it with 1/4 tsp of salt and dash of pepper.
2. Take out the pork and mushroom, add more oil to sautéed the anchovies and garlic until golden brown.
3. Add 3 cups of water and the rest of ingredients and bring it to a boil.
4. If the mixture is too watery, add some dissolved corn starch to make the sauce nice and thick.
5. Boil some wonton noodles and serve it over the sauce, sprinkle fried shallots on top.

No comments: